[Systers-dev] Introductions!

Sneha sneha.kottapalli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 19:48:23 PST 2011

Hi all,

This is Sneha. I am a relatively new member of Systers (joined in April'11)
and this is my first post here. I am doing my M.S. in Electrical
Engineering ('sister' department of CS). I work on the PHY and MAC layer
design of wireless communication systems. A lot of what I do requires
coding in C, shell scripting and MATLAB. I am hoping to sharpen my coding
skills and pick up Python by contributing to Mailman. I would classify
myself as a noob w.r.t. open source projects. I attended the open source
day during GHC'11 and was quite excited by the possibilities of open source
projects.

Looking forward to contribute in a useful way here.

Cheers,
Sneha

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Lukas Blakk <lukasblakk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I'm Lukas and I work full time at Mozilla as a Release Engineer. I fell
> into this area of software development completely by accident and I love it
> because I get to solve a lot of problems for people (devs) and touch a lot
> of different technology.  For example I have recently gotten to learn how
> to write a very simple REST API for a tool to allow us to automate database
> entries for new project branches we want to spin up.  I am Canadian but I
> live in San Francisco because California.
>
> My passions are open source, art, activism, education, and travel - all
> intersections welcome!  I also do very light webdev in my 'spare' time for
> mostly artist friends who are afraid of technology and the web. This has
> made me very good at coming to an existing solution, learning how it works,
> and then making incremental improvements.  Perfect match for open source
> project work :)
>
> I'm looking forward to connecting more with other Systers as this year's
> Grace Hopper was my first and I am properly blown away by it and want more
> of that sort of enthusiasm and being surrounded by smart, technical women
> in my every day life. Didn't seem like there was any better way to do that
> than to get involved at the source!
>
> I had two things I was interested in helping out with after Robyn Jeffries
> spoke at the lunch:
> * Setting up and maintaining a planet
> * Setting up and maintaining a salary database - Recently I read "Women
> Don't Ask" and I would like to help make it more possible for us to
> anonymously share our job/experience level/salary info so that we could
> compare to things like http://www.glassdoor.com and get some data on what
> a woman should expect & ask for
>
> Anything else that needs people on it works for me though, I just really
> like to be useful and productive.  I have what I like to call a "Border
> Collie" personality :)
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>

> On 11/19/11 4:11 PM, Terri Oda wrote:
>
>> So hi, I'm Terri!  I figure it might be fun to do introductions, so I'll
>> start.
>>
>> I'm part of the Steering Committee for GNU Mailman, which means that I
>> get to make big decisions about future directions of the project and how we
>> spend the donations we get.  I've spent the past few years really busy
>> finishing my PhD in computer security, which was totally an awesome
>> opportunity to pursue my own research ideas [1], but in the end became an
>> increasingly solo activity.  So I'm really looking forwards to working with
>> all of you!
>>
>> I've just moved from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada to Albuquerque, New Mexico,
>> USA, which is a pretty big switch -- for one, Albuquerque is a desert with
>> an altitude of 5000 feet / 1.6 km so there's a lot of adjustment physically
>> from my somewhat damp valley homeland.  My poor red blood cells!  But my
> [...]

To contribute to this conversation, send mail to <Lukas Blakk >